Every time we buy a new skincare product for the collection, its more common than not to wonder – when do I apply this in my routine? Or even, does it really matter? Turns out, it does!
Applying in the correct order ensures that your skin receives the full benefits of each product. As the skin is a natural barrier for external factors and radicals, we obviously want our skincare to go in, so you can take steps to ensure products properly penetrate the skin for maximum results.
As an easy rule of thumb, apply the thinnest product to the thickest, or from liquid to cream. It is also preferable to use products with the most important ingredients first (like antioxidants in serums) and finish with products that need to sit on top of the skin (moisturisers).
Read: Why face oils are so popular right now
This skincare routine is all about protection from the sun, pollution and the elements.
- CLEANSE – splash the face with warm water or wash with a gentle cleanser (we recommend using: CLEANSE Face Oil Cleanser).
- TONER – this is not an essential step, however can be amazing to act as a delivery system for antioxidants, Vitamin B derivatives and even toning acid.
- ANTIOXIDANT SERUM – are concentrated, nutrient-dense treatments so better to keep as close to the skin as possible (we recommend using: ADVANCED-C or MULTI-B 24/7 Face Oil Serums).
- MOISTURISER – most experts recommend that the best time to apply a moisturiser is while the skin is still damp, so the sooner you get through applying your serums the better in order to lock in as much hydration as you can. It is also important to keep the skin on our body hydrated and healthy!
- SUNSCREEN – this should be your last step and is highly important to protect the skin against aging. It is recommended to use a physical sunscreen.
Where do oils come in? Read about the differences on
Our skin naturally repairs at night and it is the optimal time for it to do so. This routine should be all about optimising treatment and giving your skin what it needs most.
- DOUBLE CLEANSE – remove the days grime, dirt, oil and makeup with a first cleanse, an oil cleanser is perfect for this! (we recommend using: CLEANSE Face Oil Cleanser). Follow this with a second cleanse to properly clean the skin from any excess dirt or pollution. If using a face or body scrub at night, use in place of the second cleanse (we recommend using: SOOTHE Face Exfoliant).
- TONERS, ESSENCES AND BOOSTERS – if you use a toner, apply as you would in the morning. Follow with any lightweight mists, essences, beauty waters or hydrating serums (hyaluronic acid).
- EYE CREAM – not only to prevent fine lines and crows feet, using an eye cream will protect this delicate area from other skin products that may be irritating.
- TREATMENTS, SERUMS, PEELS – this next step is to apply any products specific to your skin and its needs e.g. prescription topical medications, retinol creams, exfoliating scrubs treatments, anti-aging serums. Choose these products based on your skins in-the-moment needs rather than layering them all on at once. (We recommend using: INTENSE-A Face Oil Serum).
- MOISTURISER OR NIGHT CREAM – can use the same as the day moisturiser, however night creams are generally thicker, heavier and are designed to be absorbed over the course of several hours.
- BODY MOISTURISER – it is just as important to keep the skin on your body fresh, hydrated and protected. Our range of BODY OILS will restore skin health and nutrition, as well as specific aromas helping to aid in sleep (we recommend: RELAX BODY OIL).
Shop our full range of natural skincare oil blends to discover the benefits of skincare oils.